The Opinicon has been delighting visitors for generations.
First built as a private residence in the late 1870s, its prime location on Opinicon Lake made it a draw for fishermen and tourists alike. While the property changed hands a number of times through the early 1900s, it was finally purchased by W.E. Phillips in 1921 and reopened as The Opinicon Club. The property’s first cottages, many of which still stand today, were built on the site not long after.
Run by the same family for the next 90 years, The Opinicon quickly became a popular destination for boaters and cottagers in search of a hot meal or an ice cream cone, as well as for the many families who would stay for weeks at a time, enjoying a close-knit summer community.
In time, however, with many of its buildings in need of serious repair, business at The Opinicon soon slowed and the resort eventually closed. The site was first put on the market in 2012.
Current owners Fiona McKean and Tobias Lütke purchased The Opinicon in 2015. Their goal has been to reinvigorate and modernize the ‘Grand Old Dame of the Rideau’, while maintaining its distinctive character.
After a period of extensive renovation, The Opinicon has been welcoming visitors again since the summer of 2015.